Alexandria, VA — Today, Chelsea and her team will argue a Motion to Quash the subpoena compelling Chelsea to appear today for a second time to give testimony before a grand jury sitting in the Eastern District of Virginia.
This subpoena issued more than a year after the previous grand jury obtained an indictment against the founder of the organization that published Chelsea Manning’s 2010 disclosures of classified information.
Since the grand jury serves only an investigative function, and may not be used to prepare for trial on an already-pending indictment, Chelsea’s lawyers contend that this subpoena represents an improper and impermissible use of the grand jury process.
In addition to the Motion to Quash filed with the court yesterday is a Motion to Disclose Electronic Surveillance, asking the Judge to order the government to disclose the existence of any electronic surveillance to which Ms. Manning has been subject. If the government refuses to comply with their obligations to affirm or deny that any surveillance took place, the legal team asks that the judge quash the subpoena.
Chelsea will hold a brief press conference on the apron of the Alexandria District Courthouse, 401 Courthouse Square, in Alexandria Virginia, at 1:15 p.m.
Chelsea’s hearing will take place at 2 p.m.
Note to editors
Chelsea Manning is represented by Moira Meltzer-Cohen, appellate attorney Vincent Ward, and local counsel Chris Leibig and Sandra Freeman.
1. May 12, 2019– Chelsea on CNN’s “Reliable Sources” with Brian Stelter: https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/05/12/chelsea-manning-speaks-out-after-two-months-in-jail.cnn/video/playlists/reliable-sources-highlights/
2. May 10, 2019– Chelsea’s video statement (with full transcription): https://youtu.be/TDZGRRk4Mn
3. May 9, 2019– Statements from Chelsea and her legal team: Chelsea Manning Released from Alexandria Detention Center After Grand Jury Lapses: https://www.sparrowmedia.org/2019/05/chelsea-manning-released-from-alexandria-detention-center/
4. May 6, 2019– Chelsea Manning and her Attorneys File Motion Declaring She will Never Cooperate with Grand Jury: https://www.sparrowmedia.org/2019/05/chelsea-manning-and-attorneys-file-motion-declaring-she-will-never-be-convinced-to-cooperate-with-the-grand-jury/
5. April 22, 2019– Chelsea Manning and Her Attorneys Respond to 4th Circuit Court of Appeals Ruling Affirming Contempt and Continuing Her Detention: https://www.sparrowmedia.org/2019/04/chelsea-manning-and-her-attorneys-respond-to-4th-circuit-court-of-appeals-ruling-affirming-contempt-and-continuing-her-detention/
6. April 1, 2019– Chelsea Manning’s Lawyers Ask Court to Release Her, Pending Appeal, Citing Abuse of District Court Discretion: https://www.sparrowmedia.org/2019/04/chelsea-mannings-lawyers-ask-fourth-circuit-to-release-her-pending-appeal/
7. March 29, 2019– Lawyers for Chelsea Manning Ask Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals to Void Charges of Civil Contempt: https://www.sparrowmedia.org/2019/03/chelsea-manning-grand-jury-appeal/
8. March 23, 2019– Lawyers and Supporters Condemn Chelsea Manning’s Ongoing Detention Under Solitary Confinement Conditions: https://www.sparrowmedia.org/2019/03/lawyers-and-supporters-condemn-chelsea-mannings-ongoing-detention-under-solitary-confinement-conditions/
9. March 8, 2019– Chelsea Manning’s Support Committee: Manning’s Detention for Refusal to Provide Grand Jury Testimony is Pointless, Punitive, and Cruel: http://www.balestramedia.com/chelsea-press-releases/2019/3/8/chelsea-mannings-support-committee-mannings-detention-for-refusal-to-provide-grand-jury-testimony-is-pointless-punitive-and-cruel
10. March 6, 2019– Statement from Chelsea Manning Regarding Grand Jury and Consequences Associated with Her Refusal: https://www.sparrowmedia.org/2019/03/statement-from-chelsea-manning-regarding-grand-jury-and-consequences-associated-with-her-refusal/
11. March 5, 2019– Chelsea Manning Continues to Challenge Grand Jury Subpoena, Motion to Quash Denied, Remains Under Seal: http://www.balestramedia.com/chelsea-press-releases/2019/3/8/chelsea-manning-continues-to-challenge-grand-jury-subpoena-motion-to-quash-denied-remains-under-seal